Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bug: Rotating Sheild
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:24 pm 

If you touch the sheild while you have a level of armour higher than it is current it will not change. You have to move off of it and then wait for it to start changing again.

Also, how about my idea of armour that rotates its way up to red then stays at red until it's touched? After it's touched it becomes yellow and then rotates back up to red with time. And the default would be full time green armour, and in this game that is a good thing to have.

Plus having it setup this way will make it less flustrating, because the penality for having lag while trying to get the red armour can be to get the green armour.

Just something to consider, Slot. I think it's a good idea and will add to the gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:28 pm 

that is not a bug--it is intended to make you wait to get good armor, because its a reward for holding the area and stopping there for a bit, which can often be hard

Post subject: Re: Bug: Rotating Sheild
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
Also, how about my idea of armour that rotates its way up to red then stays at red until it's touched? After it's touched it becomes yellow and then rotates back up to red with time. And the default would be full time green armour, and in this game that is a good thing to have.

My idea for rotating armor is to allow people to get a chance to get red armor in places that don't normally have it. I think the fun of rotating armor exists because of the fact that you can walk towards it and not time it correctly and miss the armor type you wanted. It's also interesting how people react when waiting for a specific armor type while others are approaching. Pick it up too soon you get weak armor or wait too long and lose it. Personally, I would prefer having it rotate randomly rather than linear, because it makes correct timing impossible, but I think most people would find this too frustrating.

Oh and Spooker is correct, it's not a bug.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Bug: Rotating Sheild
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:32 pm 

Slot Zero wrote:
Personally, I would prefer having it rotate randomly rather than linear, because it makes correct timing impossible, but I think most people would find this too frustrating.

And lose all that delicious suspense waiting for better? I think it's great as is. Why not extend the idea to ammo too? Rotate between shells, rockets, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:57 pm 

I've created a version of the sheilds I described. Basically they start off at their original default value and downgrade each time they're picked up (Red -> Yellow -> Green -> Nothing). After it's been picked up at the green level it disappears and reappears at 25% of the sheild respawn rate specified in settings.qc, then upgrades at 100% of the sheild respawn rate until it reaches red level(Example: it will take 45 seconds for it to reach red level if it was completely used up). I had to add some basic limitation code when a player has the Rune of Good Armor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:27 pm 

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
I've created a version of the sheilds I described...

W
H
Y
:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:23 pm 

CaptainMcBunnyTickle wrote:
Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
I've created a version of the sheilds I described...

W
H
Y
:?:

Because I can. No one complains about it at all. It also makes you roam around areas that don't have much traffic because the odds are the armor will be red there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:33 am 

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
I've created a version of the sheilds I described. Basically they start off at their original default value and downgrade each time they're picked up (Red -> Yellow -> Green -> Nothing).

If two defenseless players race to the red armor in a traditional game, the first to grab it has an unmistakable advantage (difference of 200 defense strength). However, since in your mod the slower player can still obtain yellow armor, the reward of getting there first is drastically diminished (difference of just 50 defense strength).

Basically, the odds that an armor spawn point will have some armor available is much greater in your mod. This isn't necessarily a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:24 am 

You guys are just afraid of change :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:50 pm 

It just occured to me. I play Quake for the thrill and the noise and the splatter. This enhancement is for people who play quake as if they're playing D&D with dice, pencil and paper.

Rotating armor builds suspence, like waiting for a door to unlock while being hunted. What you guys are talking about is thinning the herd near chokepoints. I guess that means that if you're a searious quake player, you get bored with the sensory and see it more for skill and points.

Let me gess, you HATE campers and spammers, right? You arbitrate skill to be a measurement of how frequently and fast a player moves, and how many kills they get with a single shot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:02 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

I like the traditional armor set up. Thankfully, rotating armor can be toggled off in the official Rune Quake mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:01 pm 

toyo_mr2 wrote:

If two defenseless players race to the red armor in a traditional game, the first to grab it has an unmistakable advantage (difference of 200 defense strength). However, since in your mod the slower player can still obtain yellow armor, the reward of getting there first is drastically diminished (difference of just 50 defense strength).

Basically, the odds that an armor spawn point will have some armor available is much greater in your mod. This isn't necessarily a good thing.

But... they still have to be able to get to the armor... did you think about that? Not to mention if they shoot you to get the armor while you're on it you may first get the red armor and then the yellow armor, and if you get hit again then you'd pick up the green armor.

You also have to wait for the armor to go back up, and it's not some random chance where if you lag you end up grabbing the green armor by mistake.

Diazoild wrote:
I like the traditional armor set up. Thankfully, rotating armor can be toggled off in the official Rune Quake mod.

Blah blah blah, Diazoild wastes his time repeating these kinds of statements over and over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:14 am 

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
But... they still have to be able to get to the armor... did you think about that?

I wrote that the slower player can still obtain yellow armor opposed to him being guaranteed of it. Nevertheless, it is difficult to prevent another player from running over a particular spot, especially if you don't camp. You'll have to kill him or else he'll reach it eventually.

Quote:
Not to mention if they shoot you to get the armor while you're on it you may first get the red armor and then the yellow armor, and if you get hit again then you'd pick up the green armor.

Furthering camping is not a strong selling point for me.

Mr Wi-Fi, you're creative and have the technical savvy to bring your ideas into fruition. Unfortunately you and I often have differing opinions on how to make Quake better. Yes, I'm a traditionalist, but for those who believe I cringe at any change, I absolutely prefer the blue glue over ice. Props to whoever came up with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:08 am 

You're also taking the entire modification out of consideration. Place it into context and you might find out why the armor work the way it does.

When they came up with "weapon stay" did you argue about that creating campers as well? This idea branches off from Weapon Stay.

Besides, campers can't camp an open area. Not effectively at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:41 pm 

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
You're also taking the entire modification out of consideration. Place it into context and you might find out why the armor work the way it does.

When they came up with "weapon stay" did you argue about that creating campers as well? This idea branches off from Weapon Stay.

I'm not arguing anything, I'm discussing openly. I have no position or opinion either way. Having said that, it would be easier if you put "it" into context for us. It seems to me that if the context were so obvious, this thread would have died a long time ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:35 pm 

CaptainMcBunnyTickle wrote:
Mr Wi-Fi wrote:

I'm not arguing anything, I'm discussing openly. I have no position or opinion either way. Having said that, it would be easier if you put "it" into context for us. It seems to me that if the context were so obvious, this thread would have died a long time ago.

Here's your context, go try it for yourself: fear.lokinetworks.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:05 am 

toyo_mr2 wrote:
Yes, I'm a traditionalist, but for those who believe I cringe at any change

I debated several minutes if I wanted to post this or not but, at any rate; here it is...

Hrm, the most traditional quake mod I've played that is still being used to date is crmod. Funny how I only see a handfull of players using those now. Currently, if you want a good game (decent sized player base) you better be looking for a rune server. Since the source was released there's always been a better way to make "Quake" better (in someones opinion), and many have had their fill at trying. The fact that the few mods that are still being updated are amazing by itself. I could easily go off into another topic to the past few posts but I'm going to let everyone else do the talking.

I guess, bottom line... If you're going to play on a rune server you had better expect the unusual, and if you're not looking for that, then you're playing on the wrong mod/server(s).

And I'm not picking on "traditionalist" or "rune" players, just my 2 cents on the way the quake community has evolved and continued to run since my last serious 'quake playing' episode a few years back. :)