Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rune Quake suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:51 am 

Easy to upgrade to current version of Rune Quake:

You said on your Todo page "- add popular "fun" rune variants to make it easier for upgrades?"

Could you also devise custom files to place custom new runes that are added? That is make it simple as coping 3 files over to add a new runes when upgrading. 1 file would be like second func.qc, only for the custom functions, 1 would be for the rune specifics (Rune activates, rune things, sprints, descriptions.. etc) and then the last one wouldn't be a file you include, but a directoy where we store the custom files in a directory (IE. fiendachu.qc, sniper.qc)

Basically they would be like a template that you never update in releases, a part of the mod that can remain constant without worry of going through all the code and making changes again.

If you did something like this people could start making tutorials for adding new runes making it simple as altering a few changes to the code for rune specific traits, adding the descriptions/actions and dropping the file into the runes directory (and adding it to progs.src, naturally).

Support of other player models:

I found a way to turn the player into a different model with ease (simple as typing morph (self, "progs/shamblers.mdl"); keep in mind animation is another issue). It doesn't require much extra code and can be used to turn players into monsters or who knows what. I've coded an example of this developers feature into 0.8 and will send it to you for inspection if you're interested.

I'm sure many other coders like Painkiller and Dreadful will find these useful and time saving, and maybe allow other's interest to spark in developing. It will also help prevent spinoff mods (Due to the fact that some people make so many changes to RQ that they can't upgrade to versions after the version they used IE. Rune Quake Advanced which is changed so much internally that it would take months to upgrade it to a version like 0.8.)

Post subject: Re: Rune Quake suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
I'm sure many other coders like Painkiller and Dreadful will find these useful and time saving, and maybe allow other's interest to spark in developing.

I think the easiest solution is for me to release the Rune Quake CVS repository.

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
It will also help prevent spinoff mods (Due to the fact that some people make so many changes to RQ that they can't upgrade to versions after the version they used IE.

With CVS, you can branch off the code and selectively merge in my changes.

In the meantime, if you're note familiar with it, check out CVS.

http://www.cvshome.org/

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Rune Quake suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
I found a way to turn the player into a different model with ease [...] I've coded an example of this developers feature into 0.8 and will send it to you for inspection if you're interested.

Sure, feel free to send me anything you think is cool or worthy of investigation.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:17 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

I'd like to see the ability to turn into monsters added to Rune Quake and the modified versions. Don't believe it has been released yet, but I've seen it on the old Beatdown and TQ servers.

Think it adds something fresh to the mod and can be done without harming the balance of the game. Only change I would suggest is to eliminate monsters from having the ability to pick up runes since you gain some "powers" as a monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:33 pm 

Well I sort of got my wish. Seems IEEE coded the ability to spawn the server bots as monsters and Chuck recently came across that section of the code.

SINGED is now featuring monster bots! Each time they spawn they are a different monster. All monsters are enabled, Shambler, Chthon, Zombie, Hell Knight, Solider, Tar baby, etc. Sort of looks like a freak show in there, hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:01 pm 

lol, now that's something I'm going to enjoy. I like having the bots as monster because 1. It's cool looking. 2. You can tell which are the bots when a human is in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:33 pm 

Some of the monsters are too funny. The fish, tarbaby and Chthon come to mind.

Chthon Killa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:39 pm 

Yea, the fish are hilarious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:40 pm 

Tar baby cracks me up the most... nothing like a little blue plug chasing you firing rocks, :shock: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:22 pm 

I like the dogs, I swore one stopped to pee on me after killing me, but it was just chatting.

Post subject: that sounds cool
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:29 am 

what server is it where you can spawn as a monster? that sounds fun what's the IP?

\======================/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:45 pm 

Well quake.widomaker.com lets you become the monsters either by using a rune or finding a monster powerup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:03 am 

I have a suggestion: Make the Shub Hat rune protect against Rain. A big old hat like that should keep you nice and dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:26 pm 

Not a bad idea if only people would hold onto Shub-hat. I've been thinking about improving on the rune's idea a bit, it'll need a new name tho so people with the "drop it soon as I pick it up" mindset will have to look at it.