Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone remember Argon?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:21 pm 

I know I brought this up on QuakeOne once, but since this is the appropriate forum for this topic, does anyone remember the runequake server quake.argon.org?

That was my all-time favorite server back when I played. There were other servers and mods I would play on, but I mostly spent my time on Argon.

I remember at one point they changed their DNS to something different, which was about the time I didn't play there as much. I think that was about the time some of the more modern runes were added like the spike cloud of death and the hougan rune. I remember the spike cloud rune being added because it freaked me out the first time I saw it.

Also does anyone remember runequake being referred to as "Artifact Quake"? That was the old name for the mod.

Runes I can distinctly remember being on Argon included Vengeance, Vampiric, Death Spots, Orb of Death, Blink, Shammy, Teleport Shuffle, and many others that are on today's Runequake servers. I'm trying to remember if there were any that were removed (or are featured on Fear) that were featured on Argon - I vaguely remember the Obelisk rune being there.

Post subject: Re: Anyone remember Argon?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

The server went down because Lon couldn't host it for me anymore and when I put up a new server I didn't think it right to use the same name (Marlinspike).

The Artifact-RJS website is still up: http://www.argon.org/artifact-rjs/

as well as the original Artifact site: http://singe.telefragged.com/artifact/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

You can know use quake.argon.org to get to Shmack server if you wish. Thanks Roderick!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:25 am 

I really liked the lithium hook at Marlinspike, made getting a hook special.

Shmack ran for a couple of years with that setup and I can recall Urdead and I "investigating" a player who was an "obvious bot".

The "obvious bot" turned out to be Slot Zero. I was on dialup at the time had difficulty imaging someone aiming so quickly and so accurately. Only when I got cable was I able to understand.

Too bad the player pool declined enough that there weren't enough remaining players to support a lithium hook server, as they all left to free-hook servers.

I don't mind free hook, but it doesn't have all the challenges that lithium hook had.