Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game disruptions at Shmack
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:54 pm 

Tonight during games on shmack, someone was making my guns change from RL to shotgun, then he took over my player and played a few seconds with it, making it move and battle... about 15-20 seconds of that. The gun changing went on for most of a map game. If it was you or one of the other admins, just tell me you don't want me to play at Shmack and I won't. Don't harrass me during a game. If it was not you or another admin then you better come and monitor games more often to catch whoever is doing it. It happened enough that it made me go from second place to fourth or fifth by game end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds as though you were riding someone. If this happens again, could you please make a demo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:46 pm 

Another case is if someone installed Hammer.exe on your computer (i think that's what it's called) It allowes someone from a different location to take control of your computer.

Quake isn't very secure as it is so it could have also been a haxor player :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:07 pm 

As far as I know, there is no option that allows an admin to take control over another player in the manner you described.

Verify that your config file hasn't been modified. If you want us to take a look at it, you can post it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:10 pm 

I use to think so too... but at Widomaker, they use to blink me from one spot to another... they being Fire{lla} when he was an admin there. He use to say it was his method to keep me from camping. Another time some player told me he was going to hack my Quake by killing my mouselook... and then it happened. So a good network/pc person probably can do everything I described... I don't think now it was an admin. I do know it was one of either 2 players in the group playing that night. I know it wasn't me because after he did it a couple of times, I stopped my player and hid, took my hands of the mouse and keyboard and it would still happen. Funny thing is it never did before until these 2 guys came on and it hasn't happened since while playing when these 2 guys weren't there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:23 am 

If I'm able to send files through the Quake connections, I'm sure anything is possible. Watch your firewall settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:01 am 
deadzone.runecentral.com

mysteri wrote:
Iat Widomaker, they use to blink me from one spot to another... they being Fire{lla} when he was an admin there. He use to say it was his method to keep me from camping.

What you saw there was a function called "Admin_Blink" that was created by a Widomaker admin. I think Ben was the creator if I'm not mistaken. He basically took the Blink Rune and, while riding a player, could "blink" them where ever. It was used on players who were camping. Great idea if you run a server that doesn't allow camping and as long as it isn't abused.

At any rate, that sort of code has to be on the server in order to work. To gain complete control of your player in Quake would require an exploit to gain control of your computer as was mentioned previously.

Make sure you're running a Firewall and do a complete system scan to ensure someone hasn't planted a "backdoor" into your system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:37 am 

sounds to me like you just unwitingly went observer and were riding someone. it doesn't take much: once you die if you press 4 and then 5 i believe then it will make you ride another player, and this is very easy to do if say you didn't yet realize that you died and were trying to switch weapons. I've had my computer hijacked like that though, with a little program called netbus.....some dude typed stuff so it appeared on my screen in irc as if i were typing it. After that in great superstitious fashion i stayed away from my computer for a month!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:00 pm 

Yeah I remember a while ago I was playing Quake, and suddenly my printer started printing a message saying "OWNED! Still playing Quake, huh"

So yeah, seems like a good hacker could do harmful stuff through a Quake server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 pm 

If you understand Quake streams, it's really not that hard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:34 pm 

Unwittingly going observer once and riding someone is understandable, but it happened more then once in the same game and so did my gun changing. I admit I can make a mistake on a keyboard once, but not the same mistake 5 to 6 times like what happened in that game. Like I said before, I know it was one of two players that were both teasing me about it when I mentioned it during the game. I won't mention their names because I want them to do it again so I can demo it for Slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:08 am 

if there is some software installed on your computer then it doesn't have to be a player on the server, nor does it have to be limited to taking control of your computer when you play quake. however, you said 2 people were teasing you about you playing strange, but your hacker is likely just one person, so if it was one of those players then the other just noticed you playing strange, which means that any number of people could've noticed you playing strange so even if 2 people were teasing you, one of them is not necessarily the hacker. so, evidence it wasn't someone on the server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:39 pm 

mysteri wrote:
Unwittingly going observer once and riding someone is understandable, but it happened more then once in the same game and so did my gun changing. I admit I can make a mistake on a keyboard once, but not the same mistake 5 to 6 times like what happened in that game. Like I said before, I know it was one of two players that were both teasing me about it when I mentioned it during the game. I won't mention their names because I want them to do it again so I can demo it for Slot.

After camping for a while you become inactive and automatically observe. At the time you may not realize this and then you goto switch guns and end up riding someone by accident. Then this looks like someone is controlling you. It can happen as many times as you want as long as you keep camping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:12 pm 

That didn't happen Justin, if that happens, I would assume you have to be 100 percent perfectly still for the length of time it takes too happen. I don't stay 100 percent perfectly still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:21 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

You only go OBS if you are dead and you don't get back up. I've never heard of this stand still and you go OBS thing. I'll check the release notes, but I just don't recall that "feature" ever being added to the mod.