Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hell Knight Skin for JoeQuake
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:18 am 

I'm not sure if anyone is interested or not, but I edited OgrO's Hell Knight skin in Photoshop to make it work in JoeQuake. Before, it had a gloss skin that only worked in Tenebrae (unless JoeQuake has some hidden feature that allows Gloss skins). Therefore, I applied the gloss skin in Photoshop, enhanced the original skin a little, and now it looks great. I also changed the color of the skin to more match the original Hell Knight skin. It doesn't look exactly the same, but it’s not quite as red as OgrO's old skin was (the hell knight is more of a brown color).

Anyway, here is the skin:
http://www.geocities.com/l_hunter8/hknight_0.zip
(you probably have to copy and paste the link in a new window, or right click and "save as")

Here is a screenshot of it in JoeQuake:

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:02 am 

Great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:46 pm 

how do i get this 2 work?and does someone know how 2 get the gold joeluancher or somethin like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:24 pm 

extract the skin in your joequake/textures/models directory.

great job Lightning Hunter.. can you convert some more? pretty please :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:31 pm 

in my c:drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:33 pm 

what bout the gold rocket luancher?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:37 pm 

how can i tell it worked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:56 am 

Awesone skin lightning hunter! but i can see your not using joequake with the texture pack you should download this puppy http://forums.runecentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=782 it greatly enhances joequake and runs very good even on slow systems :D

By the way if you like Joequake you should use Qrack instead because basically it's Joequake Pro, an updated version of Joequake with more options, effects and graphics :D

Also get this skybox pack at http://kell.spawnpoint.org/ this is the Number #1 best skybox pack you will ever get for Quake trust me on this on but unfortunately it's over 100mb download but you won't be disappointed! these skyboxes rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:52 pm 

Gamefreak, you have to first find out where you installed JoeQuake (including the drive letter), and then extract it to x:\xxxx\JoeQuake\Textures\Models. Replace the X's with the proper drive and folder that Quake is in. I personally have mine at C:\Quake\JoeQuake\Textures\Models
You can tell if it worked when the Hell Knight looks different in the game :wink:

Aquashark wrote:
great job Lightning Hunter.. can you convert some more? pretty please :D

Thanks, I'm glad a few people downloaded it at least. :)
If you know of any other skins I can convert, post the links!

Ranger wrote:
but i can see your not using joequake with the texture pack you should download this puppy http://forums.runecentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=782 it greatly enhances joequake and runs very good even on slow systems :D

I actually am using high-resolution textures. I'm using the ones found here: http://facelift.quakedev.com/retexture/
I deleted a few textures from the pack though; since some of them look nothing like the original textures from Quake. I hate high res. textures that don't have the same color as the original, muss less the pattern.

By the way, you forgot to mention the new charsets found here: http://web.telia.com/~u47016112/quake/ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:38 am 

Dude check this out! http://www.planetquake.com/pandemonium/tenebrae/ :D convert these and it would be amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 pm 

You can use those as-is.

Save the Ogre (ogre.mdl_0.tga) skin as

c:\quake\joequake\textures\models\ogre_0.tga

And then it's done. Can't use the gloss map or bump map, though. At least I don't think you can.

That page's docs are from 2002 back when Tenebrae was about the old wild thing out there.

And back when they were using really bad names for skins, heh.

ogre.mdl_0.tga? Hehe, that implies it's a model and it isn't. Those were the pioneer days of Quake when everyone made up their own folder for textures like "override", heh.

Nice find, by the way. The skin looks better than what I am (was) using. And for other monsters too. That guy did an outstanding job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:46 pm 

Ranger wrote:
Baker wrote:
You can use those as-is.

Save the Ogre (ogre.mdl_0.tga) skin as

c:\quake\joequake\textures\models\ogre_0.tga

And then it's done. Can't use the gloss map or bump map, though. At least I don't think you can.

That page's docs are from 2002 back when Tenebrae was about the old wild thing out there.

And back when they were using really bad names for skins, heh.

ogre.mdl_0.tga? Hehe, that implies it's a model and it isn't. Those were the pioneer days of Quake when everyone made up their own folder for textures like "override", heh.

Nice find, by the way. The skin looks better than what I am (was) using. And for other monsters too. That guy did an outstanding job.

Probably something Bastard No. 5 gave me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:52 am 

Hey Lightning, I'm getting really bored with the old quake monster models and you using photoshop on OgrO's Tenebrae models has opened my eyes. How exactly did you use photoshop to make it all one file?

me <-- noob at photoshop

Reason I ask how you do it is because I don't know you and I don't want to waist your time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:51 pm 

Well, you really have to mess with all the features of Photoshop yourself to learn how to do it, but I will give you a few ideas to get you started.

First, you have to open up all the different image files in photoshop (the main skin, the gloss file, and the norm file). In my case, I even opened up the old Hell Knight skin file, for the original color of the hell knight. Next, copy one of the skin files, such as the gloss file, and paste it on top of the main skin. I can't remember which order I pasted them for this particular skin, but you would have to mess with the order yourself. When you paste, you will see the gloss file (or whatever you chose) completely cover the old skin. Now, select the skin you pasted in the layer window, and you will notice it is set to "normal". Change this mode to something else, such as "saturation", or "overlay", and watch how the original skin changes as it blends with the one you pasted over it. You also have to mess with the opacity and fill levels, so the skin doesn't look too extreme. It takes a lot of messing around to get the skin looking like it should, while matching the color of the original monster. You can try any combination of pasting the different skin files over each other and see what you come up with. If you wanted to, you could even make a gloss file yourself and paste it over an original monster skin and mess with the layer modes.

When I did the Hell Knight skin, I edited more than just the layer and blend modes. There were parts of the original skin I didn't like (such as the crotch of the Hell Knight), so I did actually change the skin itself using airbrushes, the pencil tool, shading, etc.

Hope this helps ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:57 pm 

it doesn't so i guess you'll have to make the rest :lol:

jk good tips but no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:49 pm 

Canadian*Sniper wrote:
it doesn't so i guess you'll have to make the rest :lol:

jk good tips but no time.

Unfortunately I don't have time to do the skins either, so I guess you will have to stick with the default for now. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:09 am 

FINE! :lol:

Actually the only time i see monster is when i visit FVF or see the monster helper rune being used.