Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quake Retexturing Project (5.2 MB@!@) - 2 X Res Texture Pack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:14 pm 

Unofficial Quake Retexturing Project Sub-6 MB Texture Pack

Download: Windows XP, 2000, 98, 95 EZ Installer (5.5 MB)

Download: 7-Zip Format (5.2 MB)

I made a high resolution texture pack of the Quake Retexturing Project textures that are exactly double the resolution of all the original ID Software textures. It's only 5.2 MB and decompresses to 10 MB. It's 100% PNGs.

(The 7-Zip format: Requires either 7-Zip or WinRAR.)

List of most of the tools used: bsp2wad, wad2pcx, IrFanView (the excellent image app)

Question: What's the different between this and Yellow No. 5's?

Answer:

The Quake Retexturing Project's new textures are a lot more faithful. Yellow's are more cool, but not very faithful. It's a matter of what you like.

Additionally, the contents Yellow's texture pack has models (Plague's Pak), monster skins, item textures and stuff from the Quake Remodelling Project where as the above zip file is 100% map textures (walls, lava, slime, etc.)

Question: Does it look good or does it look like crap?

Answer: It looks great. The filesize of an image is not solely dependent on the resolution of the image. There are other methods that can be used to cause an image to compress better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:34 pm 

I had a look at this and the quake retexturing project (low version) files and i noticed they are quite similar, is this package better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:10 pm 

The Quake Retexturing Project optimal resolution set is better graphics-wise and are higher resolution than the unofficial installer I built.

I focus on the effective rendering quality and on file size. I want everything to basically look just as good, but be a smaller download.

Here are 2 examples in JoeQuake 640 x 480 resolution.

6 MB Installer Vs. ID Software Originals

The different in the above is obvious. The ID Software originals don't match up the Quake Retexturing Project textures from the 6 MB installer. The QRP textures are a LOT crisper.

6 MB Installer Vs. Quake Retex Max Resolution

This comparision isn't versus the QRP Optimal Set, it's against the QRP Max resolution set. If you increase the resolution to a higher one like 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 960 and then look at the floor, it's going to be a lot easier to tell the difference.

It is very difficult to casually tell the difference. Now the above is 640 x 480 resolution, which is what I use.

One reason why it is difficult to tell the difference is that Quake is 3D and unless you are standing right next to the wall, you are several Quake feet away from any given wall.

It is my understanding that Quake works by making 4 scales of MIPS --- think of them as decreasingly small textures --- from the originals. Which may be a major reason it is so difficult to tell the difference unless you are carefully examining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:01 pm 

The main reason to use use one of these reduced resolution texture sets shouldn't be cause it's a smaller download, but for better performance. Higher resolution textures = lower fps, and longer load times when switching maps. I always use a low res set for playing, but have a high res version of my set for recording avi's.